PROVO, Utah — Nov. 3, 2021 — Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: NUS) today announced third quarter 2021 revenue of $641.2 million and earnings per share (EPS) of $0.97.
“As we previously announced, our third quarter revenue was lower than anticipated due to COVID delta variant disruptions as unexpected government restrictions interrupted selling and promotional activities in several markets, specifically in Mainland China and Southeast Asia,” said Ryan Napierski, Nu Skin president and CEO. “Despite these short-term impacts, we are encouraged by our continued growth in the U.S., which was driven by our Beauty Focus Collagen+ launch and double-digit growth in Korea due to successful product promotions and sales leader initiatives.
“Looking ahead, we anticipate the ongoing rollout of our Collagen+ and ageLOC Meta products in Q4 will build momentum going into next year. For 2022 and beyond, we remain focused on our vision of becoming the world’s leading beauty and wellness company, powered by our dynamic affiliate opportunity platform. We will work toward this by introducing our EmpowerMe personalized beauty and wellness strategy with connected beauty devices, increasing adoption of our affiliate-powered social commerce business model and expanding our digital platform. Amidst global uncertainty, we are confident in this strategy as we transform our company toward our vision for the future.”
Mark Lawrence, chief financial officer, added, “We are adjusting our 2021 forecast based on third quarter results and continued COVID uncertainty. Despite the difficult operating environment, we anticipate annual revenue growth of 3 to 5 percent on top of strong growth in 2020, with earnings per share growth of 8 to 11 percent.”
About Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc.
Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: NUS) is a leading beauty and wellness company, powered by a dynamic affiliate opportunity platform. The company helps people live, look and feel their best with products that combine the best of science, technology and nature. Backed by more than 35 years of scientific research, Nu Skin develops innovative products including Nu Skin® personal care, Pharmanex® nutrition and the ageLOC® anti-aging brand, which includes an award-winning line of beauty device systems. Nu Skin operates in approximately 50 markets worldwide in the Americas, Asia, Europe, Africa and the Pacific. Rhyz Inc. is the company’s strategic investment arm that includes a collection of technology and manufacturing companies to support growth in the core Nu Skin business. Nu Skin is committed to sustainability, including global initiatives such as transitioning to reduced and sustainable packaging for all products by 2030. The Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation also strives to improve children’s health, education and economic circumstances throughout the world. For more information, visit nuskin.com.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, that represent the company’s current expectations and beliefs. All statements other than statements of historical fact are “forward-looking statements” for purposes of federal and state securities laws and include, but are not limited to, statements of management’s expectations regarding the company’s performance, growth, shareholder value, vision, initiatives, product pipeline and product introductions, digital tools, customers and sales leaders, affiliates, strategies and initiatives; projections regarding revenue, earnings per share, foreign currency fluctuations and other financial items; statements of belief; and statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. In some cases, you can identify these statements by forward-looking words such as “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “project,” “outlook,” “guidance,” “remain,” “become,” “plan,” “forecast,” “expand,” “will,” “would,” “could,” “may,” “might,” the negative of these words and other similar words.
The forward-looking statements and related assumptions involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results and outcomes to differ materially from any forward-looking statements or views expressed herein. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· risk that epidemics, including the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and other crises could negatively impact our business;
· adverse publicity related to the company’s business, products, industry or any legal actions or complaints by the company’s sales force or others;
· risk that direct selling laws and regulations in any of the company’s markets, including the United States and Mainland China, may be modified, interpreted or enforced in a manner that results in negative changes to the company’s business model or negatively impacts its revenue, sales force or business, including through the interruption of sales activities, loss of licenses, increased scrutiny of sales force actions, imposition of fines, or any other adverse actions or events;
· any failure of current or planned initiatives or products to generate interest among the company’s sales force and customers and generate sponsoring and selling activities on a sustained basis;
· political, legal, tax and regulatory uncertainties associated with operating in international markets, including Mainland China;
· uncertainty regarding meeting restrictions and other government scrutiny in Mainland China, as well as negative media and consumer sentiment in Mainland China on our business operations and results;
· risk of foreign-currency fluctuations and the currency translation impact on the company’s business associated with these fluctuations;
· uncertainties regarding the future financial performance of the businesses the company has acquired;
· risks related to accurately predicting, delivering or maintaining sufficient quantities of products to support planned initiatives or launch strategies, and increased risk of inventory write-offs if the company over-forecasts demand for a product or changes its planned initiatives or launch strategies;
· regulatory risks associated with the company’s products, which could require the company to modify its claims or inhibit its ability to import or continue selling a product in a market if the product is determined to be a medical device or if the company is unable to register the product in a timely manner under applicable regulatory requirements;
· unpredictable economic conditions and events globally, including trade policies and tariffs;
· the company’s future tax-planning initiatives; any prospective or retrospective increases in duties on the company’s products imported into the company’s markets outside of the United States; and any adverse results of tax audits or unfavorable changes to tax laws in the company’s various markets; and
· continued competitive pressures in the company’s markets.
The company’s financial performance and the forward-looking statements contained herein are further qualified by a detailed discussion of associated risks set forth in the documents filed by the company with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements set forth the company’s beliefs as of the date that such information was first provided, and the company assumes no duty to update the forward-looking statements contained in this release to reflect any change except as required by law.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures: Constant-currency revenue change is a non-GAAP financial measure that removes the impact of fluctuations in foreign-currency exchange rates, thereby facilitating period-to-period comparisons of the company’s performance. It is calculated by translating the current period’s revenue at the same average exchange rates in effect during the applicable prior-year period and then comparing that amount to the prior-year period’s revenue. The company believes that constant-currency revenue change is useful to investors, lenders and analysts because such information enables them to gauge the impact of foreign-currency fluctuations on the company’s revenue from period to period.
# # #
Media: [email protected], (801) 345-6397
Investors: [email protected], (801) 345-3577